|$0.80 per pill||Order|
|$0.75 per pill||Order|
|$0.70 per pill||Order|
|$0.67 per pill||Order|
|$0.60 per pill||Order|
|$0.55 per pill||Order|
Propecia is highly active drug with a hormonal effect.
This drug is recommended for use by persons suffering from neoplasms of a benign nature and premature baldness. The drug suppresses excessive production of male hormone dihydrotestosterone, which under normal conditions gradually accumulates inhair follicles. As a result, hair follicles suffer from high pressure, due to which they are damaged and die. Propecia helps in 95% of cases of male-pattern baldness.
Propecia has the ability to inhibit 5-alpha reductase, which converts the male sex hormone into more active 5-alpha-dihydrotestosterone. As a result of taking the tablets, an increase in the plasma concentration of testosterone takes place. An increase in the content of hormonal substances in the tissues of the prostate gland is also noted. The described changes are most clearly observed in the first day from the moment of the medication usage.
Composition and release form
- Main active substance is finasteride.
- Excipients are magnesium stearate, starch, talc, lactose, cellulose, macrogol, hypromellose, sodium starch glycolate, etc.
- It is produced in the form of tablets, in a dosage of 5 mg of finasteride in each tablet.
Propecia belongs to an inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to more active dihydrotestosterone. It reduces the content of dihydrotestosterone in the blood and tissue of the prostate gland. It inhibits the stimulating effect of dihydrotestosterone on prostate adenoma development.
Finasteride helps to reduce the size of the enlarged gland, improves urine flow and reduces the symptoms associated with benign prostatic hypertrophy. Several months of treatment may be required to reduce the clinical disease manifestations.
Indications for use
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (to reduce prostate gland size; improve urine flow and reduce symptoms associated with hyperplasia);
- Reduction in the risk of acute urinary retention requiring catheterization or surgery, including transurethral resection of the prostate and prostatectomy.
- Male-pattern baldness.
Dosage and administration
The drug is intended for regular long-term use. The recommended dosage is 5 mg (1 tablet), which is taken 1 time per day, preferably at the same time of day irrespective of food intake. It is possible to take it in combination with the drug doxazosin (alpha blocker).
The course of treatment can last from several months to several years. The exact duration of treatment depends on the therapy effectiveness, which are determined by using diagnostic tests, individually.
Evaluation of effectiveness is performed at least 1 time in 6 months.
An increase in dosage does not cause an increase in effectiveness.
Elderly patients, as well as patients with renal and hepatic insufficiency, do not need dosage adjustment.
Reported cases of overdose (400 mg at 1 time and 80 mg daily for 3 months) did not cause side effects. There are no recommendations how to overcome overdose.
Propecia is contraindicated in the case of:
- increased sensitivity to certain chemical components of the product;
- women of reproductive age;
It is recommended to take tablets for uropathy obstructive, insufficient work of the liver, prostate cancer with caution.
Possible side effects include:
- erectile dysfunction, decreased libido (often);
- allergic reactions – rash, itching, urticaria, Quincke’s edema;
- depression, heart palpitations;
- increased levels of liver enzymes;
- impotence, ejaculation disorder, enlargement of the mammary glands, breast cancer, testicular pain, impaired sperm quality;
- decrease in ejaculate.
There were no discovered clinically significant interaction of finasteride with propranolol, digoxin, glyburide, warfarin, theophylline, and antipyrine.
Apparently, finasteride does not significantly affect the enzyme system of cytochrome P450. It does not affect the pharmacokinetic parameters of drugs metabolized by microsomal liver enzymes.
No significant clinical interaction observes in the case of the simultaneous use of finasteride with ACE inhibitors, alpha-blockers, beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, nitrates, diuretics, histamine H2 receptor blockers, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, NSAIDs, quinolones and benzodiazepines.